As we close up another year of March Madness, I’ll take a moment to ramble about the commercials. Here’s a running diary as I watch the Elite Eight games. Warning: I may have a few strong opinions after seeing every commercial approximately 100 times already.
– Big year for chickens.
– The old lady does not have a blog. No one should have a blog anymore. Not even me.
– Dear Buick, if you are going to buy this much air time, please make more than one new commercial. And run a commercial that does something other than say “Buick” 6 times.
– The anti-Buick commercials: the multiple Capital One spots where you can hardly understand what Barkley is saying.
– Those spots are endearing. I don’t know why.
– After seeing the same spots so much over the first weekend I’m genuinely excited to see anything new right now.
– FEDORA TWINS!
– Even when you don’t think FIAT is going to make a cliche Italian joke they sneak it in there at the last moment.
– New AT&T spot with Shaq crying and saying he feels “Not strong” = win.
– I would comment on the Enterprise commercial but I feel like it wasn’t meant for me.
– Big year for swiping.
– Feed it! No.
– How does one invent low fares?
– AHHH WIFI.
– Clyde the Glyde. I can get behind anything with him in it.
– There’s “wedding season”. The second weekend all-star. This household is Team Wetterlund. Apparently when she’s not killing Girl Code she’s crushing commercials.
– I wish every truck was a taco truck. That’s some liberal tomfoolery right there.
– Whoa. Century 21 just blew my mind. They are introducing different edits of the same commercial. Imagine if Buick did this? Grandma would have twitter, medium and quora!
– You stole my notes.That’s how we do it in Hollywood. I don’t like Hollywood. SENSITIVE BARLES CHARKLY STRIKES AGAIN!!!
Break Time. See ya tomorrow.
And we’re back.
– First commercial break. Southwest then Buick. The ad gods are mocking me.
– Spots like Apple’s and Samsung’s are great because they are all music and no dialogue. Someone could create a spot saying, “You are just great.” And I’d be sick of it after the 10th time.
– Does the BMW old lady have dementia? I dunno. Anyways, big year for old ladies in cars.
– I ride the highway. I’m going my way. I lead a story uuuuuntold.
– If they run back to back chicken commercials followed by back to back old lady commercials, I’m sending my grandmother a gift certificate to KFC.
– Commendable use of the word churn.
Alright, that’s all. Lost some steam. Next year Clyde Drexel and Alice Wetterlund adopt a sensitive Barkely is who is allergic to chicken and old ladies.